I grew up in St. Louis with a passion for Cardinals baseball and scouting. My father and grandfather were both engineers, so science and design were always a strong influence in my life.
When it came time for me to pursue a career path, my interest in health care steered me toward the profession of orthodontics, as it seemed like a perfect blend of science and design. As a practicing orthodontist, however, what I’ve come to appreciate most is the positive impact that treatment can have on a person’s self-confidence and quality of life. I love what I do and take great pride in helping my patients achieve the type of smile they desire.
I attended college in rural Ohio, where I played baseball and majored in history. My most important accomplishment during my time at Kenyon College, however, was meeting my wife, Rita. As a dental student at Northwestern University in Chicago, I was awarded a US Army Health Professions Scholarship, and I went on to pursue a postdoctorate residency in orthodontics at The Ohio State University, where I became indoctrinated into Buckeye football fever!
Following my orthodontic residency, I moved to North Carolina to fulfill my military commitment at Fort Bragg Womack Army Medical Center. As chief of orthodontics at Fort Bragg, I was honored to provide comprehensive orthodontic care for active-duty soldiers and serve as faculty to the oral and maxillofacial surgery and advanced education in general dentistry residency programs.
While teaching residents, I gained valuable experience using the most innovative techniques in surgical orthodontics and interdisciplinary treatment. I also learned from this deserving population of American heroes the value of hard work and sacrifice that has helped me become a better citizen, husband, and father.
I live in Greensboro with my wife Rita, a child clinical psychologist, and our two boys, Sam and Ben, who keep us happily busy. We spend our time doing all things outdoors, and we enjoy traveling throughout the country, especially to visit the national parks and cheer on our favorite sports teams, the Cardinals and the Buckeyes.
- Kenyon College – BA magna cum laude
- Northwestern University Dental School – Doctorate of Dental Surgery
- The Ohio State University College of Dentistry – Master of Science, certificate of orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Guilford County Dental Society
- NC/SC Damon Study Club
- Gate City Dental Study Club
Honors and Awards
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, National Dental Honor Society
- Pierre Fauchard Award, International Dental Honor Society
- National ASDA Newsletter Award, editor of The Wisdom Tooth
- Published article, The American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics (2005)
- Commissioned Major, United States Army
- Army Achievement Medal, Army Commendation Medal
- US Army Health Professions Scholarship
- Eagle Scout